Bottle guard 1 medium
Onion 1 medium
Tomato 1 medium
Tempering Ingredients urad dal, jeera, mustard seeds, curry leaves
Oil 5 tbsp (or sufficient to saute onions)
Salt 1 tsp
Red chilli powder 3/4 tsp
- Peel off bottle guard and chop into small pieces; Chop the onions and tomatoes and set them aside.
- Take oil in a pan and let it heat up;
- Add all the tempering ingredients and let them fry.
- Add the chopped bottle guard pieces to the fried tempering ingredients.
- Add salt and stir all the bottleguard pieces, put flame on medium-high, add very small amount of water, close the lid and let it cook for 7-10 mins.
- If the water is too much, then open lid, let the water evoporate and then add onions.
- Now, open the lid and stir once again; once the bottleguard pieces become tender(pinch a piece with spatula and it should be easy to break), add the chopped onions and close the lid to cook again for 5 mins;
- Once the onions become tender(onions turns to transparent color once they are done), add the chopped tomatoes and close the lid.
- After 5 mins, open the lid and stir altogether (by this time, all the pieces should be well done - even tomatoes).
- Add Red Chillie powder, reduce flame to medium-low and let it cook for 3 mins just to avoid the raw taste of chillie powder. (you can add 4 green chillies for this curry, if you don't like red chillie powder)
- Switch off the flame and add the chopped cilantro. that's it, delicious bottleguard curry is ready :-)